Fluctuations in hormone levels, caused by diet, stress, plastics, medications can trigger any and all of these symptoms, and more!
- Sugar and fast carbs – When one hormone is overproduced in the body, other hormones suffer, as they all work together in a delicate balance. Sweet foods, refined carbs and coffee all cause a big surge in the hormone insulin. Over time, this can result in low levels of vital hormones like progesterone and testosterone.
- Weight gain – Excess body fat starts to produce its own hormones! The more fat we have, the more estrogen we produce, this throws off the balance and can lead to painful periods and even conditions such as endometriosis and fibroids.
- Stress – Feeling overwhelmed with work, kids, etc. consistently raises adrenalin and cortisol, meaning your other hormones such as thyroid hormones (that control metabolism) and sex hormones are reduced. This can lead to conditions such as hypothyroid and PCOS.
- External hormones (xenoestrogens) – We’re exposed to these from plastics (especially when food comes into contact with plastic), the Pill, parabens in body and haircare products, and growth hormones from commercially reared meat and dairy. These are another contributor to estrogen-dominant conditions.
How to help:
- Spirulina has been shown to increase sensitivity to insulin, this can reduce the amount needed in the body. Our Spirulina is also an incredible weight loss helper because the complete protein, energising iron and B Vitamins can reduce food cravings.
- Cinnamon has been shown to tackle blood sugar imbalances, helping with insulin sensitivity. There are many studies that document its positive effect on difficult or irregular periods and mood swings. Ours is true Ceylon Cinnamon – much more effective than the commonly available Cassia.
- Organic Burst Maca is an adaptogen – a plant that strengthens the body in the face of stress. It stimulates and nourishes the pituitary gland and is proven to help produce hormones at the correct levels.